The 5-flavor berry that does it all!
Schisandra, also known as Schisandra chinensis, is a berry-bearing vine that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. In Chinese Medicine, it is called Wu Wei Zi, and is related to the kidney system. It is considered an adaptogen, meaning it helps the body better cope with stress and balance its systems. This is one of the main reasons why it is included in Elemental Compounds Stress Support formula.
Schisandra has a unique combination of flavors, including sour, sweet, bitter, salty, and pungent, which has earned it the nickname "five-flavor berry." This allows schisandra to be a very balancing herb. Schisandra is believed to have a wide range of health benefits. Here are a few of the most commonly cited:
1. Boosts energy and endurance: Schisandra is thought to enhance physical performance and improve endurance, making it a popular choice among athletes.
2. Supports liver function: Schisandra has been shown to have hepatoprotective effects, meaning it can help protect the liver from damage caused by toxins, alcohol, and other substances.
3. Calm nervous system: In TCM, schisandra works on the heart and the kidney systems. These are the systems related to mental health and sleeping. Schisandra helps boost the yin and blood of these systems. This helps to decrease insomnia and eliminate anxiety symptoms such as heart palpitations and dream-disturbed sleep.
4. Enhances mental clarity and focus: Schisandra may help improve cognitive function and promote mental clarity, making it useful for those with brain fog or difficulty concentrating.
5. Reduces inflammation: Schisandra has anti-inflammatory properties, which may help reduce inflammation throughout the body.
6. Supports the immune system: Schisandra has been shown to have immunomodulatory effects, meaning it can help regulate the immune system and support overall immune function.
Schisandra can be consumed in a variety of forms, including as a tea, tincture, or supplement. It is important to note that while schisandra is generally considered safe, it may interact with certain medications and should be used with caution in individuals with certain health conditions.
Overall, schisandra is a versatile herb with a wide range of potential health benefits. If you are interested in incorporating schisandra into your wellness routine, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the most appropriate form and dosage for your individual needs.
Schisandra is believed to help support the adrenals by acting as an adaptogen. The adrenals are part of the body's stress response system, and they play a crucial role in producing hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. When the body is under stress, the adrenals release these hormones to help the body cope. Additionally, some research suggests that schisandra may help reduce cortisol levels, which can become elevated during times of chronic stress.
Overall, while the exact mechanisms by which schisandra supports the adrenals are not yet fully understood, its adaptogenic properties and potential effects on stress and hormonal balance make it a promising herb for those looking to support adrenal health. Schisandra is one of the main herbs in the Stress Support formula from Elemental Compounds. This powerful berry is very versatile and well tolerated.